Tuesday, August 10, 2010

She's Like the Wind

In 10 days I hope this is a phrase that can be used to describe me and my friends as we run and trudge through the obstacle course ridden Rockies in our first ever attempt at the Warrior Dash. A year ago I was about 40 pounds heavier, fairly sedentary and could barely run a mile without keeling over. And now with a little less baggage to carry around I am preparing to do one of the most adventurous things of my life, so far. The 3.27 mile run at Copper Mountain includes obstacles like a mud pit, hay bale hill, tunnels, junk cars to climb over, cargo nets, and my personal favorite, a fire pit. Maybe I'm crazy, but this seemed like the perfect challenge to spice up my life and crossing the finish line will not only solidify my place at as an official bad ass, it will also be a great reason to celebrate. And, that's what life's all about,right? Finding reasons everyday to celebrate being alive.

In the last week, as it has truly begun to sink in exactly what I am planning to do, I have been to reflecting on all of the changes that have happened in my life that have allowed me to be brave (or crazy) enough to literally run off the beaten path. Besides the physical changes I think I have become stronger, more confident and more at peace with the world around me. It's amazing what can happen in only a year's time.

Now it's time to stop my day dreaming and kick my butt into gear. With less than two weeks left I have yet to run three miles straight without a break, though I am close. Overall I am prepared but I don't want to just run this thing, I want to conquer it. So, wish me luck and say a little prayer because I will need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment