Tuesday, September 20, 2011

PSA for Huntington's Disease

As a follow up to my last blog I wanted to post this public service announcement which aired in Las Vegas on MIX 94.1 last Sunday morning. My friend Jenny and I, along with Dr. Walsh from the Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, recorded a 30-minute segment discussing Huntington's Disease and our personal stories. Beyond being educational, the segment is proof that anyone impacted by HD is not alone. Whether you have the disease or are caring for family members who do, there are other people like you and people that want to help. There are also doctors like Dr. Walsh who are leading the charge in raising the level of care offered to HD patients and their families in our community as well as fighting for research that could one day lead to a cure.

If you have a few minutes I encourage you to listen to this piece. My friend Jenny shares her very personal story and it's powerful. She is a young woman who has faced some heartbreaking challenges in her life, including testing positive for the gene, though she has chosen to step out and share her story in hopes it will push the search for a cure forward as well as resonate with others with similar stories.

I am thankful for the show of love and support I received in response to my last blog. Its strange to put something so personal out there, but I believe part of the journey to a cure is coming together as a community and supporting one another. If I can remind one person that they are not alone then sharing my story is worth it. 

I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. - Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment