Thursday, November 5, 2009

Instant Gratification Dating

It sounds crazy, right? But in a time of high-speed this, instant that and immediate who knows what, I guess it's not a surprise that relationships can go this way, too. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is a trend or simply because I am getting a little older, but it seems like dating leads either to a dead end or to a committed relationship faster than ever before.

For me personally, I think it's easy to fall into a relationship quickly if a guy shows me that he possesses the qualities I am looking for early on. I know what I am looking for but this alone can be dangerous to a relationship early on. People tend to show a shinier version of themselves at the beginning and are more willing to be on their best behavior which can be inconsistent with who they are once they become comfortable with a relationship. So, I guess the trick is to be confident in what I am looking for, but be more careful in assuming that another person is exactly how they present themselves. Anyone else a little dizzy after reading this paragraph?

I'm not the only one though. I have a close friend who is currently on the relationship fast track. She met her boyfriend in June online and spoke to him for a few months while he was serving in the military in Iraq. He arrived back in Vegas in early September and they are now planning their wedding (though he has not proposed yet).

So why is this happening? Does online dating speed up the courting process? In my friend's situation, is it because her man is in the military that the there is such an urgency to tie the proverbial knot? What's the trick to knowing if you are moving too fast?

No comments:

Post a Comment