Saturday, March 5, 2011

Baking: Key Lime Pie

Ever since I took home economics in seventh grade I have loved baking. It might have a little something to do with my built-in sweet tooth, but I also enjoy the process and the end result of something delicious to share with the people I love the most. Despite my enthusiasm, one out of three of the things I bake in the kitchen is a disaster. With that in mind, I thought my blog would be the perfect place to share my successes and disasters. So, get ready for some mouthwatering and hilarious stories!

Last week one of my close friends (who happens to also be a co-worker)celebrated her 27th birthday. A few months ago she had mentioned her love of key lime pie so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try something new in the kitchen. The bonus was that not only was the recipe super simple, it tasted delicious, too. Because the pie is no-bake, it takes only a few minutes to prepare and is perfect to prepare the night before you want to eat it.

TIPS: the recipe calls for three limes to make a 1/2 cup of juice, I used four and still had trouble meeting the required amount of liquid, so I just topped off the lime juice with a little bit of water and it turned out fine.

Carnation Key Lime Pie
(Credit: Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Morsels Best-Loved Recipes)

1 prepared 9-inch (6 ounces) graham cracker crumb crust
1 can (14 ounces) Nestle Carnation sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup (about 3 medium limes) fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
Lime peel twists or lime slices (optional)

Beat sweetened condensed milk and like juice in small mixer bowl until combined; stir in lime peels. Pour into crust; spread with whipped topping. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Garnish with lime peel twists. Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment