Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sacrifice

What is sacrifice? Do I really understand the meaning of that word? As part of Ash Wednesday I have been thinking about this a lot. Over the past several years I have chosen to practice Lent in symbolic preparation for Easter. After much discussion with my friends and co-workers I have chosen (boldly) to give up sweets which includes dessert of any kind, especially ice cream and frozen yogurt. Some of my friends have chosen a much deeper and mature route, but the truth is giving up sweets is a pretty big sacrifice for me. I feel a little silly and shallow admitting that, especially as part of a tradition that celebrates the death and resurrection of Jesus, but at the same time I feel like its the perfect exercise in self control. Sometimes I take sweets for granted or overeat without thinking, but this is a chance to gain a new perspective.

According to some traditions, Sundays during Lent are considered a mini-Easter celebration and fasting is not required. Though I can appreciate this, for my own sense of accomplishment I will skip Sundays, how much sweeter that first treat will be after 46 days anyway.

What are you giving up or sacrificing this year? What personal growth do you hope to gain from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment