Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Finding Peace with My Piece of the Pie

Often there are times when I offer up encouragement to a friend and the one who actually gets something out of it is me. A few weeks ago I ran into a girl I haven't seen since my freshman year of college, 10 years ago. As we were catching up on life and wandering down memory lane she told me proudly about her husband and six-year-old son but was obviously disappointed in herself for never finishing college. I told her that it's impossible to do everything in this life, so you should be proud of what you HAVE accomplished. In the moment I didn't think much of these words, though I truly meant them but they obviously had an impact on her because she chased me out to the parking lot to thank me for the positive affirmation. As I drove away it dawned on me that this advice was as applicable for me as it was for my friend. If I was being completely honest with her in the moment, I would have shared my desire for a strong relationship and even a family (someday), these are things I have sacrificed to focus on college and now my career. Sometimes I wonder if I spent too much time in a dead end relationship and wasted time that could have been used finding Mr. Right For Me. I realize these thoughts are pointless, but I'm human, too.

For year's my Dad has tried to impress upon me the importance of taking a moment to stop and smell the roses. Admittedly, I tend to jump from one thing to another not spending enough time to see the good things I have created or have been a part of in this life. If I blend the wisdom of my father with my own words, I think there is an even more powerful message there. Take time to appreciate the things you have accomplished, but don't dwell on the things you haven't done. . .yet. This is something I have been working on a lot lately. Taking a moment to take a deep breath and ponder life without letting the negative "what ifs" takeover.

What are some things on your bucket list that have been sacrificed up to this point in order to accomplish other things on your list? Would you change it if you could? How has your list changed because of the things you have accomplished?

1 comment:

  1. There's no such thing as "wasted time." I've learned more from my failures than my successes.

    Good advice about listening to your Dad. Dads are usually right.

    ReplyDelete