Saturday, July 4, 2009

The grass is always greener

In my case this is completely true. I am visiting my family and friends in Colorado for the fourth of July weekend and there is no doubt Denver is much greener than the desert landscape of Las Vegas. But figuratively this seems to be a fitting cliche, as well. There is no doubt in my mind that I love Las Vegas and it's surrounding cities but there is something about Colorado that is both sentimental and refreshing. I left Colorado ten years ago to attend UNLV and in a lot of ways have never looked back. After graduating I was hired at the firm in which I had interned and between my developing career, a blossoming relationship with my boyfriend and the little pet family we had acquired I had begun to build my life in the heat of Vegas. But now after the end of a significant relationship in my life it feels like I am seeing the world through different eyes. Not just restricted to the world I have created in Vegas. It seems like opportunities are everywhere and I have found a renewed sense of excitement for the world around me. (Imagine that, me -- little Miss Positivity, surprised?)

Case in point: yesterday my brother, sister-in-law and I were preparing to leave their house in Denver to meet up with the rest of the family to go to Heritage Square. (If you love carnival rides, festival food and cheesy photo opps, this place is for you.) As we were getting ready to walk out the door, Charley, the fox terrier, seized the opportunity of the cracked open front door and took himself for a morning jog. My brother took off in pursuit of the dog and I followed behind running between houses and into alleyways in the urban neighborhood. After about three or four blocks I lost sight of both of them as they turned a corner and decided it would be better for me to walk back and wait for them at the house then get lost myself. It was at this time that I had a chance to take in the scenery around me. As I walked through the alleyway of dumpsters and graffiti I noticed the beautiful trees and foliage that made a regular alley seem like an inviting place to be. In the middle of my thoughts I was greeted by a guy sitting along one of the dumpsters. I responded to the greeting kindly but couldn't help but be shocked by the situation. I'm sure this alleyway transforms when the sun goes down, but in that moment it was paradise. This was only one of many situations I experienced yesterday that made me take a step back and reevaluate this place I had left a decade ago and not given much thought to since.

This situation only magnifies the happiness I feel of being near my friends and family. Despite my geographic distance my circle of friends and family have never given up on me and we have stayed close despite the miles between us.

Maybe I am only seeing the world through the rose colored glasses that vacation naturally creates, or maybe the contrast between Vegas and Denver is significant enough that normal everyday occurrences seem like little miracles simply because their different from the norm. I am not sure how or if this experience alone will significantly effect my decision of geographical location in the future, but it's yet another reminder of how everyday experiences help us form opinions that may lead to big life decisions down the line.

To any of my Vegas friends reading this, don't worry I will return home and back to the my life next week. And to my Colorado family -- the possibilities are endless. But in this moment the grass is green and I am soaking in every moment of it.

What are your stories of everyday experiences that have changed your outlook on your current situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment