Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thirteen hours of love

If you had to choose between being in love for the next 13 hours and then dying, or living until the age of 98 without ever experiencing love which would you choose?

This question was posed during a conversation in my office the other day. Interestingly enough my co-worker chose option B and was just as passionate about his answer as I am about mine.

For me the answer is easy. Without even a thought I would pick 13 hours of love. Maybe it's because I have experienced the overwhelming, all-consuming feelings of love; to me it is the best feeling in the world and choosing that for a limited time over never experiencing it at all is a no brainer. Even despite the heartbreak and letdown of broken dreams and unmet expectations that I have experienced I truly believe that love, even if for only for 13 hours as in this case, is completely worth it.

I don't think there is an experience or material item in this world that could live up to or replace the feeling you get when your heart is full and you know you would go to the ends of the earth to make another person happy and they would do the same for you.

How would you answer this question and why?

1 comment:

  1. Love to me, true love that is, is a matter of existence like no other, a feeling that is hard to explain, a sense of fullness and joy that cannot be replicated by any other means. Once you've experienced this phenomenon, so many take for granted, it is hard to imagine life without it. In fact, once you've tasted this intoxicating drug, life becomes meaningless in the absence of love. If it's slipping through your grasp, as it often does, in one's heart and soul there is this sense of longing for true love, the addiction to have more or to sustain what you already have. On the flip side of the coin, if you are one of those, like so many around us who have lost their true love or never received this precious gift, I believe there is an innate need to find true love whether we agree or not. So to even think that I could live without love, my answer is, without a doubt, I would prefer to die than to yearn for something I once had, once tasted, once joyfully basked in...

    ReplyDelete