Monday, August 3, 2009

The Friend Zone: Part Two

A month or so ago while visiting Colorado, I wrote a post called "The Friend Zone" which questioned if a man and a woman can truly have a platonic friendship and described a scenario between my friend Big Andy and his "friend" Georgia. Well, it seems the story finally has an ending.

Last week Georgia finally gave up the game and confessed her true intentions. As I assumed the friend zone was really the test zone. She may have truly thought friendship was what she was looking for but her heart disagreed. So, this is the part of the story where either the friendship becomes a relationship or Georgia sucks it up and makes the best of the situation or the friendship ends all together. Unfortunately, I think the odds are against this one. Georgia and Andy have not known each other long enough for a long lasting friendship to truly take root and she is young enough to not really care.

If the two decide a relationship is what they want I am not sure it would last long. Georgia is excited by the thrill of the chase and less concerned about whether he's the right one. It's not often that she must hunt her prey and once the chase is over so will be the thrill of it all. I give her credit for saving some face the next day with a text message claiming SHE'S not ready; but the problem is, that he wasn't asking her to be. It's common that circumstance and compatability get jumbled and confused and this is a perfect example of that.

So, the question arises again: can a man and a woman be just friends? Is this situation common enough to make a ruling for the entire human race?

1 comment:

  1. I've pondered this a lot before and almost broke up with an ex boyfriend of mine because I was ignoring my truth in this subject. He was right to say no, men and women cannot be friends. I have to say, if you work hard at it, yes you can be friends, but there is always and will always be a tension between you and the friend in question. I also believe this only happens with a few special people like Andy and Ray. You and I have overcome our "tension" (well....jury is still out) and dealt with a lot of crap for it, but I wouldn't spend that much energy if they weren't two amazing boys. They are however my exception. So, in everyday life nope, I don't think men and women can be friends. I can pretend, but deep down inside there is always a wanting for more. Even old best friends, deep down inside there is always that haunting thought of what if....but thats just me, I have a hard time not thinking inappropriate thoughts : ) Love you!

    ReplyDelete