Saturday, August 8, 2009

Dating Myself

Originally I was going to title this entry, "The Big Date," but finally decided that would be misleading, especially knowing that I am supposed to be writing about my dating (mis)adventures. Unfortunately the well has been a little dry lately --mostly because I haven't made an effort to encourage dating in my life. That being said, it doesn't mean that I am sitting at home on a Friday night wallowing in my singleness. In fact, it's just the opposite. Tonight in fact I took myself out on a date. First, I went to Subway for dinner, then U Swirl for some yogurt and then a movie. You probably think I am crazy but there are several reasons why dating yourself is much easier than dating someone else:


1. You don't have to worry who's going to pay
2. No matter what you wear your date will think you look fabulous
3. Very little awkward conversation (except for the stranger who catches you talking to yourself)
4. No wondering if a kiss is going to happen at the end of the evening
5. No waiting by the phone for your date to call the next day


Some people are not comfortable doing things all alone, like seeing a movie for example, but for me it's therapeutic. I spend so much time with people at work, at home and lately a lot of traveling, it's nice to do something I want to do in a peaceful way. It heals my soul. We live in a world where very little time is spent alone and I think it can be unhealthy. Even when I am in a relationship, I try to do some things on my own. It's also a great excuse to go see movies and do things I would never want to torture a man by forcing them to go with me!

What do you do by yourself that heals your soul?

1 comment:

  1. Shoot photos... I may be surrounded by tons of people, but behind my camera, framing that perfect picture, I am with myself, in my own thoughts, looking to create art and capture life around me before it slips away :) That is my therapy.

    ReplyDelete