Thursday, July 9, 2009

Writer's block?

Five or six years ago I helped my step brother write his online dating profile which eventually led to the meeting of his wife. Though we laugh and joke that I may have been a little generous with my words, the profile did it's job. If I only knew then that people would pay a pretty penny for a similar service maybe my career path would have been different (probably not).

The Guy's Perspective.com is one of many Websites that create online dating profiles and offers dating consulting for a fee. I am not sure how I feel about having someone else writing an online profile for me (forget the fact that I have helped others write their own profile), or better yet knowing that an online prospect may not have created their own profile. Writing style and voice can tell a lot about a person and if someone else is writing on their behalf this could be misleading. This also brings up some ethical questions for both the companies and individuals. As I read through the example offered on the site I was impressed yet cynical. I also did a Google search for online profile writing services that revealed this is not really that unique of a business model. Below are a review of a few of the profile writing sites as well as a review of The Guy's Perspective.com.

I liked the look of this Website as well as the tone in which it is written. The site seems to be targeting women in their early to mid-twenties who are looking for a guy's perspective (good choice on the name!). Though this was the most expensive service of the one's I reviewed, with a price tag of $165, it seemed to offer the most comprehensive of services from complete profile creation to photo advice and dating consulting. The Guy's Perspective approach is a collaborative process which I believe is important and also gives them a competitive edge. The collaborative method shows in the writing style which impressed me. Also, the blog on the site is updated on a regular basis and dating questions are answered and posted for anyone to read.

This website was created by Kate Houston, an award winning writer in advertising with over 20 years of experience. I wasn't blown away by the design or sample profiles on the site. I felt like the voices of the individuals in the samples was completely lost once converted to the final product. Based on the testimonials alone, Houston's customers are men and women from in the age range of late 30s to early 50s. The cost for this service is in the middle at $80 for creation of a profile. Profiles are created by completing a questionnaire that is available on the site.
Of the three sites I reviewed, this one has the most corporate feel by far. In addition to the website, the service also offers a toll free number and an online chat feature. The sample profiles seemed to be more of an edit of the original version than a complete profile overhaul. The demographic this site serves seems to be men and women from their late 20s to mid-to-late 40s.ProfileHelper.com offers three services at varying price ranges: profile creation (starting at $69.95), profile makeover (starting at $39.95) and photo services (starting at $15.95).

I am still a little hesitant when it comes to profile writing services, however I think they can be useful for the right person who just needs a little direction. What are your thoughts? Do you think services such as these make it even harder to trust the person on the other side of the computer?

1 comment:

  1. I too, am hesitant about these services. When meeting and dating someone, I want to see a person for what they are. If they can't put together a decent paragraph, I want to know that. If a man insists on holding a beer in his profile picture, I want to know that too. I think these services aim to alter certain personality traits which will come out sooner or later if you truly get to know a person.

    ReplyDelete