Sunday, June 14, 2009

The countdown is on

The official end of my self-proclaimed dating detox is seven days away and there are so many things I haven't done that I may need to grant myself an extension. This reminds me of my college days, I was after all the queen of procrastination! Since I started this blog I have been asked several times, what is a dating detox - so here it is, defined by Patti Stanger herself:
"During this step you get to stop, take a breath, and get your romantic bearings. . . This is a chance to get back in touch with your softer more feminine side -- to draw men to you like bees on honey. . . Depending on the length of your last relationship, Dating Detox should last between thirty and ninety days."
While in detox I have examined my past relationships and developed a firm grasp on what I am looking for in a relationship. I have also taken time to focus on myself and find my "happy" place. Before the detox can end there are a few vital steps that need to happen. First, I need to purge my life of anything I don't need. According to my favorite Matchmaker this is necessary to make room for new things. This will actually be great since I will be moving in the next few months and will be forced to do this anyway. Second, I need to go shopping for a few new items for my dating wardrobe. I made my first attempt at this today but just wasn't feeling it. Besides, I was supposed to take a man with me, which wasn't possible today.

I am not sure what is holding me back from completing these two steps, but I vow to make some headway before the next weekend rolls around.

When the clock strikes midnight next Sunday and the detox is officially over I will be ready to date again. I guess. I am not sure if you can truly put a countdown on something like this, but it has been over three months since my last relationship and though I may have a lot to accomplish to physically prepare my life for new love possibilities I think my heart and mind are ready. Being back in the land of the dating however, doesn't mean I will be on a date right away, it means I will be open to it. Who, when and where are still to be determined, but I am sure it will be a new adventure.

Check back for updates, but in the meantime, allow me to pull you into my procrastinating by sharing my favorite Dane Cook bit: "I just wanna dance!"

1 comment:

  1. I congratulate you on the detox. That is a good idea. I know a lot of people that should do that. They would get to know themselves better.

    ReplyDelete