Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Paging Mr. Right!

If it were only that easy. . . Seriously! I guess it doesn't really matter at this moment as I work through my dating detox, however at some point I am going to have to get back out there and meet someone, but where? If you ever get a chance to talk to a single lady in Vegas about dating I guarantee she will tell you it's harder to find people to date in this town than anywhere else. But, is that really true? My frame of reference is small since I moved here at the precious age of 18 and did very little dating prior to that, but from the experiences I do have it hasn't been exactly easy.

Easy or not, it seems the experts can provide a little hope to the singles in Sin City. According to Forbes' annual "Best Cities for Singles" list published in September 2008, Las Vegas ranks 24 out of the top 40 cities. The ratings were based off the following criteria: number of singles, nightlife, coolness, culture, job growth, online dating and cost of living. It seems being chosen as the second coolest city and fifth for job growth is what kept Vegas on the list. Sadly we came in 37th out of 40 for numbers of singles but it seems not all hope is lost. According to a US Singles Map published in the Boston Globe single men in Las Vegas outnumber women by at least 40,000.

Now for the most obvious question: if these numbers are accurate where are all these single men? But more importantly, where is Mr. Right? Matchmaker Patti Stanger offers three suggestions in her book, Become Your Own Matchmaker, of where to meet men: online, personal contacts and out and about. (By the way, I will probably continue referencing Stanger's book, at least until I finish it!) I have no interest in meeting a man at a bar and I have done online dating in the past and am not quiet ready to get back on that horse. For me, I think meeting someone through personal contacts makes the most sense. It would take a lot of stress out of the process because anyone who is introduced by a friend has been pre-screened and given the stamp of approval. This of course isn't a perfect system but seems more fool proof then the other options. The other place I have considered is getting more involved at church.

If you are single living in Las Vegas how are you meeting people? If your happily married, do tell, how did you meet and what advice would you give to a single lady looking for love?

2 comments:

  1. I think that there are plenty of single men in Las Vegas, but most of them are juts here on vacation! My only advice is to be open to new relationships without actively looking. Afterall, I met my betrothed while working in a window factory! I definitely wasn't looking for love there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly think like attracts like. The people who say there are no good guys in Vegas are clearly attracting people as negative as they are. No wonder it's not working for them!

    ReplyDelete