Monday, June 1, 2009

Matchmaker, Matchmaker make me a match

Last night while waiting to meet a friend for dinner I wandered around the bookstore near our specified meeting place. Bookstores are a dangerous place for me, I can’t seem to control the urge to buy at least one book. This time the book that caught my eye was Become Your Own Matchmaker, written by the star of the Bravo network's reality show The Millionaire Matchmaker, Patti Stanger and co-author Lisa Johnson Mandell. I absolutely love the show and it probably doesn’t hurt that I am a newly single woman on the prowl. After reading the first few pages I was hooked.

In the first chapter of the book, entitled Step 1: Dating Detox, Stanger explains the importance of stepping away from the dating scene – whether you are just out of a long term relationship or a serial dater – to take time for yourself and figure out what you want in a mate. She pushes the point that people in general are attracted to happy people and this is the key ingredient to the recipe for success in the dating world.

For once in my life “detoxing” sounded easy. I didn't have to force myself to drink any funny smelling liquid or be deprived of carbs, I simply needed to focus on me. That’s easy, right? A positive attitude and genuinely happy outlook on life has always come pretty easy to me. As I drove home excited to break open my new book and unveil all of the secrets to finding Mr. Right I realized I must be part of a small percentage of people who have found a way to hang on to the glass and keep it half full despite the small turbulence that might make it seem half empty. How sad. Then I realized maybe my perspective on life and dating would be worth writing about.

So stay tuned to hear about my adventures as a single 20-something in Vegas. It may not be the crazy and out of control as you might expect in Sin City – but I can promise you it will be entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment