Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I choose happiness

Tonight I attended my nephew's high school graduation. As I listened to the student's speeches, each painting a bright future with a "time to take on the world" attitude, I realized how much I have learned since I sat in a similar seat listening to frighteningly similar speeches just 10 years ago. Something clicked in my mind when one of the students said something to the affect of, "there is only one path to happiness, so choose carefully."

There is no doubt in my mind she is wrong. If there was only one path to happiness, what a sad world this would be. For one, it's the mistakes we choose to learn from that make us better people along the way. In my personal circumstance I would not be such a hopeful, happy place if it weren't for the "mistakes" I have made in my life. Secondly, I don't believe happiness is waiting to be found -- happiness is a choice we make in our lives. So, I guess that means I may have picked the "wrong" road, but as far as I am concerned, it's the right road for me.

So, how is this relevant to dating and relationships? Well, you don't have to read crazy dating advice books to know that happiness is the key to a healthy relationship. And I'm not talking about finding happiness in a relationship, I am talking about choosing true genuine happiness for yourself when no one else is around. I choose happiness (sprinkled with a lot of hope).

As for the student who spoke at graduation today, she'll find her way. She truly does have a bright future ahead and maybe for her there is only one path to happiness, but I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment